September 7th is Brazil’s Independence Day from Portugal. This weekend, Capoeria Brasil Arizona & Grupo Liberdade presents the annual Brasil Fest happening in Scottsdale. There will be traditional Brazillian dancing, live entertainment, and food.
The two day event will be kicking off at the Martini Ranch which is a huge local night club as well as a concert venue. Here’s what’s going on Friday:
- Local band Grupo Liberdale will play samba, samba reggae and other traditional Brazillian music.
- Samb AZ which is a local dance group will be Samba dancing.
- DJ Sean Marquand will be sprinning traditional Brazillian music so you can try out your own Samba moves.
- Capoeria Brasil Arizona will be performing traditional Brazillian martial arts.
- Enjoy a variety traditional Brazillian food and drinks which are included in the $15 cover.
- Live art by Banding Hendrix and Closer.
Friday evening’s events at the Martini Ranch are 21 and over and are happening between 9pm and 11pm. Make it a date night!
On Saturday at 4pm, Capoeria Brasil Arizona will perform once again at the batizado ceremony at Pure Fitness . Capoeira is a Brazilian martial art that goes back 500 years. A batizado is a baptism into the art of capoeria and the public is not always invited to view it so it’s a great opportunity to see something unique.
Capoeira is very physical and acrobatic so it’s a great work out routine. It’s also just really cool to watch. The Capoeria Brasil Arizona has been in existence for ten years. They offer classes for kids and adults. The event is family friendly and a great way to learn about Brazillian culture.
Take a hot date to the Martini Ranch on Friday night and then take the kids to the batizado on Saturday. Tickets can be purchased in advance or at the time of the events. If you’re headed to your Scottsdale vacation home this weekend, definitely check it out. Happy Indepencence day Brazil!