The state of Arizona is blessed with some truly amazing landmarks. Some have been forged by nature over millennia, and others mankind have created very recently. But no matter what their origin, these 7 wonders of Arizona are a must-see for any traveler.
- The Grand Canyon. Sure, the Grand Canyon is a little obvious when it comes to Arizona landmarks. Yet, when standing at the precipice of this great natural wonder, one can’t help to feel overwhelmed by its magnitude.
- Ancient Ruins of Canyon de Chelly. These ancient ruins are the preserved remnants of very early indigenous tribes native to the area, including the Navajo and Anasazi. Consisting of the floors and rims of the de Chelly, del Muerto and Monument canyons, these ancient sites provide valuable insight into cultures that lived there thousands of years ago.
- Hoover Dam. Built between 1931 and 1936, the dam is controversially named in honor of President Herbert Hoover. Although Arizona shares the dam with Nevada, it is still a local testament to the sheer will and manpower that went into building it.
- Meteor Crater. The only wonder on the list not of this planet, the Meteor Crater is located in Northern Arizona, near Flagstaff. It’s 1.186 kilometers wide, and impacted the Earth about 50,000 years ago.
- London Bridge. You thought the London Bridge was in, well, London? Think again. Robert McCulloch purchased the bridge from London in 1968 and resurrected it in Lake Havasu City, Arizona.
- Superstition Mountain. Located immediately East of Phoenix, Superstition Mountain is a prominent piece of the Arizona landscape. Thought to have been created by volcanic eruptions over 25 million years ago, the area is now a popular destination for hiking and other recreational activities.
- Sedona Red Rocks. This stunning array of red sandstone formations are said to glow a brilliant red-orange when viewed in front of a rising or setting sun. Besides being breathtakingly beautiful, the rocks are also the site of many a spiritual pilgrimage.
As you can tell by this list, Arizona has one of the most diverse landscapes in the country. The best part is, you can see all these wondrous destinations easily from any of our Westbrook Apartment Rentals.